Thursday, March 4, 2010

Germaphobic

What is it about being a mom that makes you instantaneously a Purex carrying, Lysol spraying, snot nose fearing crazy woman? I understand about not wanting your little one to get sick (because, who wants to see their little one miserable?) But, when it goes to the next level of blaming someone for giving you the germs (GUILTY!!!!) and cursing them under your breath as your holding your little one crying in the middle of the night, it's gone a little too far.
We go over board with questions... "Is the snot clear, yellow, or green? Thick or thin? How many times has he coughed in the past day? Hour? Well, what have you been giving him? Does he have fever? Oh, no, sweetie, don't touch that! Get that out of your mouth! Oh, you say you were sick 3 months ago... we better wait one more month to come over."
I am guilty of all of these statements. They are taken straight out of my vocabulary. I'm somewhat of a medical junkie, which make me know just enough to be dangerous. I don't know as much as I would like to say I do. Growing up, my family, not in a nice way, would call me "Dr. Beth" because I would try to fix everything. Did I mention that for fun growing up, I would read my mother's medical dictionary? Yes, I'm a nerd, I know. My mother reminded me right around the time that my little guy was born that I did NOT have a medical degree hanging on my wall, and since the pedi does, I should let them do their job. She was right.
That being said, I do think there is something to be said for a mother's intuition. A doctor only knows what you tell them. They can only go off your cues and your baby's (which are really hard to read when you're not with them 24-7, and even then, it can be impossible to tell what is wrong.) I never understood the Mother's intuition thing until I had my son, and then did it ever come out! My husband thought I was stubborn before, but get in the way of something that I think is right for my son, and be prepared to get knocked down! If I feel a doctor isn't paying attention to what I am saying, and not fixing a problem; on to the next one.
I would say I'm the middle of the road germaphobe. There are some, like my brother and sister who lived with us for sometime last year who would disagree. Every time they would come into the house with sniffles, there I was with the Lysol ready, spraying everything behind them all the way to their bedroom door. I treated the common cold as the plague. I was all of the sudden someone in "Outbreak" (by the way... anyone know how you can get one of those cool germ suits???) On the other hand, I admit to giving my son his passy after it has fallen on the floor... in public. So where's the sense in that?
I know, it's craziness. But hey, if that's the only (or one of the few) places it comes out, we're doing ok, right?

Sorry if this one seems all over the place... I'm distracted by all the things that need to be lysoled in the house! : )

2 comments:

  1. Read this: http://www.drcindyblog.com/bugs/2009/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I had heard about the hand sanitizers doing more bad than good eventually. I personaly don't like them because I never could really feel like I got my hands as clean as I do when I wash them, and they remind me of when I worked in a hospital (the last thing I want Daniel smelling like).
    I'm not sure how I feel about not washing fruit and veggies even if it is organic... humm... what's the saying? God made dirt, dirt don't hurt? : )

    ReplyDelete